30/08/2011

Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

Sorry for the image overload, but they were all so pretty I just couldn't resist. A post by Mat reminded me about this guy I knew who was an insomniac and used to go for walks at dawn around the city. He got obsessed by spotting odd signs, mainly ghostly painted ones on the sides of buildings & he took me for a tour once which was so beautiful. I don't actually know what happened to him but when I read this article at work on Saturday the mention of Project Neon brought it all back. If you haven't heard of it basically she roams New York looking for lovely neon signs. & it's neon's 100th birthday so the endlessly wonderful Chris Bracey made a sign to accompany the article & it set me on an internet trail. Neon - don't you know - is also my favorite element in the periodic table.
What's yours?

Photobucket

4 comments:

  1. wow this is very cool! He sounds like a very interesting guy! I love the pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  2. well there, you go. i get a mention. your comment about the guy who took you on a tour was really interesting though. semi similar to a story my gf hold me. they went to see a gig in my town, this guy from coney island was playing, called curtis eller (he's tour the uk quite a lot but was his first time here) and after the gig they got chatting about how much blackpool reminded him of blackpool (cheesy, corny, tacky but nostalgic). So she decided to walk him around the lights on the prom until the we hours of the morning. next day he was back in NY and he enjoyed it so much he used my gf's photos she took at the gig in his promo work.

    neon signs rock, it must have been so exciting when they first came out and had the capability to be molded into anything they wanted!

    ReplyDelete
  3. omg i love the pole dancing one!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the round buttons at the ends of your posts!
    Thank you lots for your comment :)

    Lily xx
    Lonely Afternoon

    ReplyDelete